FAQs About Advising & Transfer

How do I get started?

Begin with the admissions process, then meet with your advisor for course selection and registration.

Who is my advisor?

All students have assigned advisors based on their programs of study.

How do I schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor?

Students may schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor by calling the College's main number at (410) 287-1000.

How many credits do I need to be a full-time student?

Full-time status is a minimum of 12 credits.

What is the recommended amount of study time for each course?

It is recommended for students to dedicate a minimum of two to three hours per credit studying for each course. For example, a student enrolled in 15 credits should spend approximately 30 to 45 hours per week studying for courses.

What types of programs do you offer?

The College offers several degree and certificate programs in a variety of areas.

How do I select a program of study?

Students may receive assistance with all aspects of career planning by visiting Career Services to meet with a career advisor.

How will I know what courses to enroll in?

Advisors will assist students with course selection each semester. Students may schedule an appointment or contact their assigned advisors directly.

How do I register for courses?

New students should meet with their advisors to complete the registration process. Continuing students may meet with their advisors to register for courses, or register online by logging on to MyCecil.

Will my credits transfer?

Students should work closely with their advisors to explore the various transfer pathways with our partnering institutions. The Articulation System for Maryland Colleges and Universities (ARTSYS) is a computerized articulation system designed for students transferring to a college or university within the state of Maryland. ARTSYS is a resource for course equivalencies, recommended transfer programs, and transcript evaluations.

How will I know if my credits transferred in from another college or university?

For students to receive transfer credit, the sending institution must be accredited by a regionally accredited agency or by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

After the official transcript evaluation has been completed, students will receive a transcript evaluation letter from the office of the Registrar.

Will the grades for my transfer courses count towards my grade point average?

Transfer credits are not calculated into the grade point average.